Blog Banner

Llanelli Scarlets 32 v Cardiff Blues 13

3rd January 2006

Cardiff Blues had already defeated the Dragons and Ospreys in the Welsh derbies over the Christmas period while the Scarlets had defeated the Dragons but were given an unexpected rest when their match against the Ospreys was called off at the last minute.


It was the Scarlets who looked the liveliest side from the kick off when a fumble by the Cardiff Blues saw Scarlets prop Martyn Madden crash over to score within the first two minutes. The Blues looked to fight back through Nicky Robinson and Craig Quinnell but the Llanelli Scarlets defence was solid and it was the Scarlets who threatened to score again but they squandered a chance when they passed forward as they tried to make the most of a huge overlap on the right. It wasn’t long before they were on the scoreboard when winger Mark Jones rounded the Blues defence, chipped ahead and was first to the ball to put the Scarlets 10 points ahead. Although it was never a dirty game it was certainly physical and the Cardiff Blues suffered a blow when Nicky Robinson had to leave the field with a shoulder injury after 30 minutes to be replaced by Roger Warren. It wasn’t long before the Samoan international was on the scoreboard when he kicked a penalty to end the half Llanelli Scarlets 10 Cardiff Blues 3.

Half Time
Llanelli Scarlets 10
Cardiff Blues 3

The Blues came out in the second half determined to improve on their first half performance and it wasn’t long before Roger Warren added to the score with a penalty after the Scarlets had gone over the top in a ruck. The renewed vigour saw the Blues drive up in to the Scarlets half but once again the Scarlets fouled in the ruck and this time Scarlets flanker Dafydd Jones was yellow carded for using his hands in the ruck. The Blues opted to kick for the corner and they were rewarded when they won the line out and Martyn Williams was driven over from 15 yards out to score the try converted by Warren. With the Blues 10-13 up they looked to have turned the corner, however they squandered a chance a few minutes later when Martyn Williams was tackled just short of the try line. It was the Scarlets who scored next when Alix Popham slipped through a tackle and passed to Reegen King to score converted by Gareth Bowen. Within minutes the Scarlets had scored again when a long range kick bounced kindly in to the hands of Mark Jones who passed on to Lee Byrne and he fed Matthew J Watkins who raced over the try line, once again converted by Bowen. With Robert Sidoli having already left the pitch injured the Blues were dealt a further blow when Rhys Williams and Roger Warren were injured. The Blues were forced to move Jamie Robinson to outside half and substitute Wayne Evans on the wing. The Scarlets dominance was sealed when they won a line out and scrum half Dwayne Peel raced over to score in the corner to seal the victory.